Saturday 18 June 2011

Born To Be Different

On C4 on Thursday nights is a programme called Born To Be Different.  It's about a group of children all born with different disabilities and has been following them from birth to show how life is for them and all the trials they have overcome the children are now 10.  One of the children a little girl called Zoe has Arthrogryposis you never really see much on TV or anywhere about Arthrogryposis so I was interested to watch.  I have to say all of the children are so inspiring and so strong and seemed to take whatever was thrown at them completely in their stride.  I guess they didn't really have much choice than to be like that but they handled their difficulties so well.  My mom says that Zoe reminded her so much of how I was as a child im not sure if I was like that but I do remember just getting on with things but when you know no different what else can you do?  It was also an eye opener into how it was for my parents.  In a lot of ways I think it was much harder for them than it ever has been for me.  Seeing how scared they must have been, the sacrifices they must have made and the tears that they shed all of which I was blissfully unaware of.  When I was born the Drs said that I would never walk, well I soon proved them wrong! I didn't walk until I was 3 and after a lot of surgery and years of on going physio of which I still do today I did it! But it wasn't just me I owe so much to my parents if they hadn't have been so commited would I have still walked? Maybe, maybe not.  My mom said it would break her heart having to do physiotherapy that would make me scream it just isn't natural to hurt your baby even though you know you have to do it.  I never remember the bad bits though so in my mind it's ok and so worth it! But the strength she must have had to continue to do it knowing it was best for me.  I have so much to thank her for.

This got me thinking how would I be if my child is born with Arthrogryposis or any other disability?  The thought is pretty scary I don't want my child to go through any of the struggles I have had I want them to have the opportunities that I missed out on.  But if it happens it happens in a lot of ways I can relate to them in a way my parents couldn't relate to them and I know from my own personal experience that most situations are overcome just by a little thought and some hard work all of which is worth it! Hopefully I wont have to worry about these things but I know that if I can be just half the Mother my mom is to me with a child with or without a disability then I will be happy.  I am so thankful for my amazing family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment