Wednesday 15 June 2011

A Little Scare

Ok so that title is a understatment what I meant to say was a BIG scare! On sunday afternoon I started spotting just brown spotting but that is exactly how my miscarriage began last time so needless to say I began freaking out!  Of course I know that a little spotting can be common in early pregnancy and it doesn't mean anything bad is going to happen but everyone said that to me last time and that was not ok it was far from ok so in my mind this was the end.  I decided not to dash off to the hospital on sunday I knew they wouldn't scan me there and then they never do especially not for spotting so I decided to call the early pregnancy unit Monday and try and get an appointment asap.  Thankfully they got me in for Tuesday. By this time my brown spotting had turned to bright red blood it was like having a light period so I was distraught and sure that it was over!  Richard as ever was trying to to be positive but I tried to warn him to not get his hopes up I know what that crash down to earth feels like when it's bad news so I wanted to be ready.  I was so scared when we went to the scan and this time was different to the last they had the screen turned away from me so I couldn't see and the sonographer said she would tell me what she could see after she had a good look. I figured  that they must be expecting bad news too.  Due to my retroverted uterus they still couldn't find baby via a transabdominal scan so they had to do another internal scan I expected that so it was fine.  After what seemed like forever the sonographer turned the screen towards me and said "there's your baby it has a strong heartbeat and everything looks fine!"  I couldn't believe it I even asked if she was sure!! She pointed everything out to us it was amazing.  I can't believe how much baby has grown in just 2 weeks.  I cried from pure relief and shock! The sonographer laughed and said "oh im sure your going to have this one for the next 21 years!" I replied Oh I hope so!  In my emotional state I forgot to ask for a picture! But the image is clear in my mind sadly I can't show you guys :( baby is measuring right on target and I will be 9 weeks tomorrow!!

After the scan we went to see the Dr.  She explained that the bleed is a hormonal thing that should settle down by 14 weeks and to try not to worry if I get it now and again. However if it becomes heavy with clots and pain to go straight to the hospital.  Will I worry if it happens again? Errmm YES!! But that's only natural I just have to try and accept it.  Fingers crossed the spotting appears to have stopped now and I really hope that is the last of it I can't cope with the stress!! But im one week closer to that 12 week milestone and I hope I can make it!!

1 comment: